- Petroleum Engineering is a unique programme that combines petroleum, gas and exploration engineering to cater for the ever-demanding oil and gas industry. Our programme prepares individuals to apply engineering principles to the design, development and operation of systems for locating, extracting, processing and refining crude petroleum and natural gas, including mining and drilling systems, processing and refining systems and facilities, storage facilities, transportation systems, and related environmental and safety systems. Students’ understanding on theoretical component is further enhanced with hands on sessions in our laboratory and we also prepare students with psychomotor skills, critical thinking skills and good communication skills.
- Careers span the range of fields which are normally covered by mechanical and industrial engineering. Roles of a Petroleum Engineer includes developing skills in examining geologic and engineering data to determine sources of crude oil and gas, examining the quality and quantity of the product, separation of crude oil into different elements, etc.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
- Be working as a practicing professional engineer in the field of Petroleum Engineering.
- Have progressed in their Petroleum Engineering careers or other chosen profession and/or are engaged in advanced studies in Petroleum Engineering or other related fields.
Petroleum engineers travel to where petroleum reservoirs are known to exist. They define and develop the reservoirs, and produce oil and gas with maximum profitable recovery. Petroleum engineering allows one to specialize in several different oil & gas specialties, each with its own unique challenges and
rewards. The careers and job activity areas are as a:
- Drilling engineer, working with geologists and contractors in designing and supervising drilling operations.
- Production engineer, developing processes and equipment to optimize oil and gas production.
- Reservoir engineer and help determine ideal recovery processes, estimate the number of wells that can be economically drilled, and simulate future performance using sophisticated computer models.
- Manager, an entrepreneur, economist, or environmental/safety specialist.
This programme is accredited by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM).